Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hello old friend...it's been awhile

So, since I'm on assignment I don't have the opportunity to play on my PC or PS3. I've been chained to my laptop, which can't handle much. Wizard101, EQ2 (on lowering settings), and a handful of other games seem to be it. Walking around the BX (Base Exchange) yesterday I ran across an old favorite of mine...Battlefield 1942. For $8, it was mine.

Now, I have sunk some time into that game. Serious time. Maybe more than all my MMO's...combined, I mean I freakin' love this game. To me it was the perfect gaming mix. WW2 setting, all fighting, multiplayer with out the leveling for extra gear and most importantly COOP. Everyone has the same gear so it was all on a level playing field for the entire game. A day one player oculd take out the most seasoned vet within minutes. Another big plus for me when I first bought the game those many years ago was the ability for players to mod the game. BF1942 modders had some of the best news maps, skins and zones bar none. the mod "Desert Combat" was my favorites. This turned everything into modern day. instead of US vs Germany/Italy or Japan it was US v Iraq. Vehicles, weapons, outfits were all modern day. heck they even have helicopters which are a pain to learn to fly at first but alot of fun. The battles back then were massive and team work was essential to winning the round. I loved it.

So today I spent the better part of an afternoon loading the games, the maps and updates and getting reacquainted with this old friend. Some of my favorite servers still exist which makes the return even better. I'm amazed that there is still over 400 servers for this 7 year old FPS. It's nice to see so many others enjoying this fantastic game.

I can sooooo see myself getting lost in this game again.

No comments:

Post a Comment